APPRENTICESHIPS & TRAINEESHIPS
WHAT IS AN
An apprenticeship is an exciting combination of learning in an educational institution and work-based learning with a company. The apprenticeship model provides the opportunity to earn a salary as an employee while gaining on the job knowledge and skills to support classroom-based learning.
A salary is paid to the apprentice for the duration of their apprenticeship training. An apprenticeship leads to a nationally recognised qualification under the NFQ framework
WHAT IS A
A traineeship is an educational programme developed by an Education and Training (ETB) working with industry employers.
The Traineeship is a combination classroom-based learning with workplace experience. The duration of a Traineeship varies between 6-20 months depending on the specifics of the program. Each program is designed to meet identified industry needs. At least 30% of the learning time is dedicated to on-the-job learning. Successful completion of a Traineeship leads to an award at NFQ Levels 4-6.
What Is Traineeship?
Traineeships are short, structured training programmes which combine learning in an education and training setting as well as learning in the workplace in partnership with employers. A Traineeship can provide you with an opportunity to develop cutting edge skills and on-the-job knowledge, enhancing your career options and improving your employability.
FAQs about traineeships
- Are free to access and open to potential participants of all ages and backgrounds including school levers, older learners, and those in, or seeking employment.
- Lead to an award at NFQ Levels 4-6, or equivalent.
- Are between 6-20 months in duration.
- Include at least 30% of learning on-the-job.
- Combine transversal and technical skills development.
- Are designed for flexible delivery – online, face-to-face, blended learning.
- Provide open access to prospective trainees, unemployed people may be eligible for income support.
- Respond to an identified industry skills need.
Am I eligible
Traineeships are free to access and open to potential participants of all ages and backgrounds including school levers, older learners, and those in, or seeking employment.
Eligible persons must be resident in the state ,and hold a valid PPSN.
Eligibility to participate in a Traineeship programme includes people who are in receipt of any of the following payments:
- Jobseekers Benefit
- Jobseekers Payment
- One Parent Family payment
- Jobseeker’s Transitional Payment (JST)
- Disability Allowance
Those in receipt of one of the payments above are eligible to retain their payment while participating in a traineeship. Prospective participants who fulfil these criteria are referred by Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection (DEASP) to Louth Meath Education & Training Board (LMETB) and receive a training allowance for the duration of their training.
The AMTCE. in partnership with FIT (Fastrack into Technology), and supported by Intel, are currently running two QQI L6 Advanced Manufacturing technician Traineeships. These traineeship programmes
position learners to pursue a challenging and rewarding career as a manufacturing technician. On completion, they will have the skills to work on teams across mechanical electrical, electronic, and robotic disciplines.
These programmes are 48 weeks in duration, delivered over 51 weeks to allow for holidays. The programmes are delivered on a full-time basis, Monday-Friday 9am to 4.15pm
Both programmes are delivered under the Traineeship model , as 30% of the training being “on-the-job” , satisfied within these programmes as 12 week work placement module.
Successful learners can become more competitive in the employment market or can confidently progress on to further and higher education.
L6 Advanced manufacturing technician- Pneumatics
On successful completion of this traineeship, the learner will be certified in :
- Electrical Principles
- Programmable Logic Controllers
- Preventative Maintenace
- Work Experience
- Industrial Pneumatic Systems
- Industrial Electrical Systems
- Maths for Information Technology
City & Guilds Award
- Computer automated and robotic Systems Principles and Controls
Over 18 years
- Eligible to work in Ireland/EU (Stamp 4visa)
- Have a competent level of spoken and written English.
- Must have numerate literacy with the capacity to learn new skills and absorb varied product knowledge.
- A problem solver with the capacity to work as a member of a team and to communicate clearly with others.
- Good hand-to-eye coordination, mechanical aptitude and visual acuity is important.
- Demonstrate a level of personal motivation,
- have an interest in Electrical, Electronic and/or Mechanical systems
- A clear desire to work in the field of equipment maintenance.
AMTCE Student Story 1:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae4zxR4wjDE&list=PLtELmkvg6gS7f7OwBDRinEqu60-__SlTJ&index=1
You can apply online via (fetch course link to follow)
Further information on this traineeship can also be obtained by contacting the AMTCE training team –( https://amtce.ie/register-your-interest/)
Information for employers
Traineeships are developed and delivered by your local Education and Training Board (ETB) who work in partnership with industry representatives and employers to identify skills gaps and future skills needs in the local workforce.
Traineeships can give employers access to a pipeline of learners who are developing cutting edge skills and gaining on-the-job experience in relevant sectors. By tailoring courses to meet local needs, traineeships can improve employment outcomes for the trainees and increase retention and productivity for employers.
For more information on providing work placements for existing and future trainees register your interest here –( https://amtce.ie/register-your-interest/)
APPRENTICESHIPS AT THE AMTCE
Apprenticeships at the AMTCE offer an excellent opportunity to establish a rewarding career in a variety of sectors within the economy such as Advanced Manufacturing, ICT, Pharma or Food or can provide a pathway into Level 7-9 qualifications in Institutes of Technology or University.
TRAINEESHIPS AT THE AMTCE
A selection of traineeship programmes are currently in development and will be available to apply for in due course.